Stormwater and Water Quality Management

Request email notification when page changes E-Notify

Water pollution can come from many different sources. One of these is untreated runoff after a rainstorm from streets, construction sites, parking lots and private driveways, among others, which goes directly into storm drains and eventually into our local rivers and streams. To protect its citizens from this pollution, the Town of Arlington is tasked with developing and implementing a stormwater management program that seeks to manage stormwater runoff before the runoff enters the area rivers and tributaries.

Federal and state governments are also requiring certain cities and towns to comply with mandates for minimizing stormwater runoff, including the Town of Arlington. Stormwater management is required by the Environmental Protection Agency under the Clean Water Act of 1972. Arlington has a Phase II Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) permit, which allows Arlington to discharge stormwater from its drainage system into nearby rivers and streams. The permit requires six (6) minimum program areas. 

  • Public education and outreach
  • Public involvement and participation
  • illicit discharge detection and elimination
  • Construction site stormwater runoff control
  • Post-Construction stormwater management in new development and re-development
  • Pollution prevention and good housekeeping for municipal operations

Public Education, Involvement, and Participation

Residents of the Town of Arlington are encouraged to learn about how to mitigate stormwater pollution.  The following websites provide information about stormwater and how to keep our waters clean.  Remember - all water that goes through the storm drains goes to our rivers, such as the Loosahatchie River.

Residential Tips to Reduce Stormwater Pollution 
Water quality is important: we all want clean, safe water! While business and commercial entities have their roles in reducing stormwater pollution, so do homeowners and private citizens.

Preventing pollution from ending up in our rivers and streams starts at HOME.  Here are a few tips on what you can do to protect our waterways:

  • Use fertilizers sparingly and sweep up driveways, sidewalks, and roads.
  • Pick up after your pet. 
    Pet waste contains excessive nutrients and bacteria, which are harmful to humans, animals, and plants. ALWAYS bag your pet waste and dispose of properly – never leave pet waste on lawns, trails or public areas.
  • Plant grass or plants on the bare spots in your yard. 
    Bare spots in your lawn can cause soil to wash into storm drains, and choke out natural vegetation and aquatic life.
  • Compost your yard waste; or bag leaves and grass rather than leaving them in the gutter or on sidewalks.
    The nutrients in cut grass, when mixed with other organic materials such as leaves, can improve the soil quality in your lawn and garden. Leaves and grass can clog drains, causing flooding.
  • Avoid pesticides; learn about Integrated Pest Management (IPM).
  • Direct downspouts away from paved surfaces. 
    This allows the water to soak into your lawn, instead of running down sidewalks or driveways, where it can pick up pollutants and sediments and carry them into the storm sewers.
  • Take your car to the car wash instead of washing it in the driveway.
  • Have your septic tank pumped and system inspected regularly.
  • Harvest your rainwater using rain barrels or install a rain garden!
  • Never dump anything down storm drains. 
    Paint and cleaning chemicals should never be dumped in storm drains. Take chemicals to the Shelby County Household Hazardous Waste site at 6305 Haley Road.  Don’T wash paint brushes and trays in the street or gutter!

Read more about Shelby County Household Hazardous Waste site.

Learn More
Refer to these resources for more information about stormwater and quality management.

Contact Us

Pay attention to your activities and determine if there are steps you can take to improve our water quality.  If you see trash, pick it up and dispose of it properly before it gets into our waterways.  If you see illegal activities, call the Public Works Department at (901) 867-4980 to report it.

Planning and Development

Areas of