Arlington Chapter of the APTA

Request email notification when page changes E-Notify
The Association for the Preservation of Tennessee Antiquities
APTA is a statewide nonprofit historic preservation organization established in 1951. The Arlington Chapter, chartered on 21 May 1979, promotes and preserves Arlington history through five historic sites maintained by the Chapter and through community activities and events. If you are interested in joining the Arlington Chapter or for more information email Arlington_Chapter_APTA@comcast.net. 



Historic Post Office
 Historicpostoffice
The Historic Post Office is located in Depot Square on Chester Street. It was built in 1900. It was the first post office building in Arlington, was originally located in the row of businesses facing the railroad track. This building was donated by Stanley and Elizabeth Osborne to the Town of Arlington. The Arlington Chapter moved the old post office building to its present location and restored the building which was dedicated on June 30, 1991.It currently displays postal history of the community and memorabilia honoring local veterans. This site is listed on the National Register for Historic Places.

The Historic Post Office is open by appointment only.


Rachel H.K. Burrow Museum
 burrow_thumb
The Rachel H. K. Burrow Museum is located in Depot Square on the corner of Chester and Walker Streets. It was originally built as a bank in 1905. Following the closing of the bank in the early 1930's, the building was used as a community center where Miss Sarah Robinson taught dancing to the children of the community. It currently displays local historical items and changing special exhibits. This site is listed on the National Register for Historic Places. 
Doctor Malcolm A. Baker came to Arlington in January 1952 and used this building for his medical office. After he moved his office, the first library in Arlington was started in the building in 1957. 

The museum is open the third Saturday of each month May through September from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm and by appointment.


Blacksmith Shop
Blacksmithshop

The Blacksmith Shop is located in Depot Square on Quintard Street. The Blacksmith Shop is a reconstruction of the original building that was on this site until 1991 when it collapsed. The Masonic Lodge of Arlington founded in 1908, used the second floor of the shop as their meeting hall. The shop includes blacksmithing tools and old farm equipment on display. It contains one of the few working forges in Tennessee.

Plans for restoration of the original building had been initiated before its collapse. After the collapse, wood from the old building was saved for the restoration project. However, the wood was lost when an arsonist burned the building where the wood was stored. Reconstruction of the building began that year and was completed in 2000.

Blacksmithing demonstrations are held during special events. The Blacksmith Shop is open by appointment only.


Harrell Farm Log Cabin
IMG_0823_thumb
The Harrell Farm Log Cabin is located in Depot Square on Chester Street (next to the Historic Post Office). It was built in the mid-1800's. The Harrell Farm Log Cabin was used as the cook's house on the Harrell farm since before the turn of the century. In 1991, Miss Addie Lee Harrell, who still lived in the house on Forrest Street, decided to have the little cabin burned by the Town's fire department to get rid of the cabin as well as to give our volunteer firemen 'practice.' Members of the Chapter and others dismantled the cabin, numbering each log but placed back together placing the cabin at its current site on Chester Street. The log cabin includes rope bed and spinning wheel displayed inside.

The Harrell Farm Log Cabin is open by appointment only.


Holy Innocents Cemetery & Meditation Garden
 IMG_0829
The Holy Innocents Cemetery was established in 1881 with the burial of a young child. The cemetery was built on the property in 1882. In 1883, Ephraim Edward and Sarah Louisa Butler Greenlee deeded the one-acre lot with the church building and the graveyard to the "Convention of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the Diocese of Tennessee," reserving the right for themselves and their family to be buried on the property. Members of the some of the founding families of Arlington are buried in the Holy Innocents Cemetery. The last burial in the cemetery occurred in 1987. The church building was dismantled in 1929, and some of the lumber was used to improve other buildings in the community. In 2003, the Diocese of West Tennessee deeded the property to the APTA. The Holy Innocents Cemetery and Meditation Garden is located on Campbell Street.

The Holy Innocents Cemetery and Meditation Garden is open daily from dawn till dusk.



Community Activities & Events Developed by the Arlington Chapter APTA
  • Fall Harvest Decorating Contest
  • Yard of the Month
  • Memorial Day Service
  • Fourth of July Picnic
  • Fall Festival at Depot Square
  • Christmas in the Country

Items of Historical Interest Available through the Arlington Chapter & at S.Y. Wilson's

Throws (coverlets)
  • Featuring historic buildings in Arlington
Books
  • Arlington: A Short Historical Writing of the Town
    by Rachel Herring Kennon Burrow
    Reprint (originally printed in 1962)
  • The Holy Innocents: The Story of a Historic Church and Country Parish
    (Hayesville, Wythe Depot) Arlington, Shelby County Tennessee
    by Ellen Davies-Rodgers
Christmas Ornaments
  • Featuring a historic site maintained by the Arlington Chapter

About Arlington

Areas of
Interest

SEE FULL MAP